Latest news and reports from Northern Hockey Club

IT was a mixed weekend for Northern Hockey Club.

Saturday saw all three men’s teams playing, but only the seconds were able to secure all three points.

The first team travelled to to pacesetters South Cheshire.

After a number of good performances in recent weeks, the first XI were confident of getting all three points. And indeed their performance certainly warranted it.

However, despite their best efforts, they lost 1-0 after conceding in the final 60 seconds.

Before that. Northern had seen four men yellow-carded in what was a fiery encounter.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, at times Northern continued to be the better side; they just were not able to score.

A pair of chances for Marsh and Pfeiffer went begging and South Cheshire were hanging on.

Northern thought they were going to take the lead with 10 minutes left after coach Halpin unleashed a great shot that was superbly saved by the goalkeeper on the crossbar.

South Cheshire’s luck continued after that. Being lucky to still have 11 men on the park, they were awarded a penalty corner that was well converted late on.

Despite the defeat, Northern can be extremely proud of their display and it was a measure of how far they have come as a side.

NORTHERN’S second string claimed victory number two of the season with a 3-2 win over a strong Timperley side.

Northern conceded a first-half goal through some slack marking but managed to draw back level through a short corner strike from Dom Batty.

In the second-half Northern managed to go 2-1 up after captain Jamie McCaffrey slotted home.

Timperley continued to threaten and special mention has to go to goalkeeper Will Gregg who made a number of great saves to keep Northern ahead.

Late in the half Timperley looked to have snatched a draw after going level but Northern's fight continued to the end and after a great solo run by Mike Bowyer, McCaffrey was able to score his second and Northern triumphed 3-2.

THE men’s third team travelled to Didsbury Northern and lost 2-0 despite a spirited performance.

WITH no game for the ladies’ first XI, the second XI had 16 players. Carrie Fagan was welcomed back to the side after her wedding which lifted the team spirit.

The first goal came from the young side of Liverpool Sefton's third side, while everyone got settled into playing.

However, after settling down, Northern responded with an excellent goal from a penalty corner by Fagan.

After the interval, the aggressive nature of the young team came out and Northern stepped up their game.

There was excellent defending from Nikki Hedgecock, Alice Cribb, Steph Moffatt, Becky Thomas and Simone McGaskill coming back after her head injury at Formby last week.

The final score was 4-3 with goals from Emma Short, Emma Haynes and the winner coming from Tanya Baucher.

Player-of-the-game was Hedgecock with her excellent defending skills.

This weekend the ladies face Liverpool University’s first team which will be a tough test but the side’s winning streak has now started.

Related stories

From around the web