THE mum of 16-year-old Marcos Ringle who was left on the brink of death after a violent street robbery today spoke of her disgust after attempted murder charges were dropped against his attackers.
Marcos Ringle, 16, was pulled from his mountain bike as he cycled in Crosby in the early hours of July 15 and savagely beaten by Martin McCaig, 22, and his 16-year-old accomplice.
Police told the family he had been kicked, punched and stamped on 54 times during the ferocious beating – leaving the schoolboy battling for life with critical brain injuries.
McCaig, of Harlech Street, Walton, and the 16-year-old – who cannot be named for legal reasons – yesterday denied the attempted murder of Marcos but admitted a lesser charge of grievous bodily harm with intent.
They made the same plea over the near-fatal attack on an Everton taxi driver, who they attacked three days before Marcos, and who still remains in hospital.
To the anger of both families, prosecutors said they would not take the attempted murder charge to trial saying it would be difficult to prove to a jury that the offenders showed the “necessary intent to kill”.
Instead McCaig and the youth will be sentenced on February 8 for carrying out GBH with intent.
Today, Marcos’s mum Ann vowed to fight the decision, saying she had been told by police that the 16-year-old could be back on the streets within just four years.
She fumed: “They robbed my son, assaulted him and then they attacked him. They stamped and kicked him 54 times. If he had been left he would have died on the street.
“He had trainer soles imprinted on his face, he was left with no eyebrows, his eye socket was smashed to smithereens.
“The police officer leading the investigation said it was the most violent attack he had seen in 33 years in the job.
“Everyone who has viewed the CCTV is sick to the core.